blub

Catching Fire
Suzanne Collins
From the Inside Out
Talya Andor

Beneath Atlantis (Hiddenite Heart Saga, #1)

Beneath Atlantis (Hiddenite Heart Saga, #1) - Dayton Idoni A free copy of this book was provided to me in exchange for an honest review.

The book starts off with a prologue of a soldier running away from an oncoming flooding of water of his city. In his last moments he curses the greedy king who has caused the destruction and lives of the citizens. It then moves on to the present, where readers are introduced to Quentin who is going home after drinking with his best friend. On his way, he is involved in a car accident and is saved by a mysterious stranger with beautiful emerald eyes. He wakes up in the hospital and the mysterious man who saved him continue to plague him. Believing the man might be a figment of his imagination he tries to move on. But his dreams are haunted by the man and he believes he's seeing him when he's awake and about. Then a chance meeting with the man shows him that the man is all too real and not all is as it seems.

Love the humor Quentin mom and Bertie instills in the book. Their playful joke on Quentin, at the start, was kind of cute in mean way. I've always been a believer of fated meeting so when Quentin keeps running into the green eyed stranger(whose name we learn is Tyrin) my head was running rampant with reasons it was happening. It kept me interested and invested in seeing where the next meeting would occur and what it would bring.

Tyrin's explanation for why he saved Quentin from being run over and how he got into his hospital room from the window just seemed too farfetched for me. The coincidences just fit too well and seemed made up on his part and I don't know how Quentin just accepted it with little doubt.

I liked that the POV switched from Quentin to Tyrin. I like what I gleaned of him and the curiosity of wanting to know what rules he had to follow and the reason for doing so just made this even more of an exciting read. I wanted to know what part his family played in his decisions and why that was so.

Duziel, Tyrin's brother, came off as a really unlikable character with the kidnapping and the bit of torture over the ocean where he was letting Quentin plummet and then catching him.

The concept between separation of soul and what a spirit is, was intriguing, to say the least. The backstory of what Tyrin is and how his species came about was entertaining. The idea about soul ports kind of blew my mind. I just could not picture it and my mind kept rejecting the idea of what it could look like.

The gems during pregnancy were another point of interest. It was funny how Quentin questioned how Atlanteans got their baby mamas to swallow the gems if they didn't know about Atlanteans. The revelation and discover of unders and what it means for Quentin was intriguing also.

I think there were a few discrepancies in the book. After finding out about his parentage Quentin goes into a bit of a angry rant. He mentions 21 years of being safe from Atlanteans until Tyrin finds him....Quentin is 19 years old in the book....his mother and friend did jokingly pretend he was in a coma for two years...but they mentioned that it was a joke and he had only been in the hospital for a day or something.

I was also a little confused on how Quentin knew that Tyrin had left his phone at the light house? I mean Bertie was in danger so he couldn't have went there instead of trying to track his friend right? The light house was also supposedly mentioned to be in France so it just didn't make sense. I don't know if it was just me misconstruing the information or if I was over thinking it but these two things just caught my attention and I couldn't let it go.

The ending was a bit of a cliffhanger. I was groaning for how it all ended and I'm not going to lie but I was kind of cursing the author for ending it the way he did. The little sneak peek of the first chapter of the next book didn't help matters either. I really want to know what will happen to Quentin. I'm really looking forward to the next book and I hope the author finishes writing it soon.